PS1 MkII "All Valve" Phono Stage
“High-end” Pure Valve
Introduced in 2005 the PS1 has proved to be one of their best sellers. This model has had many excellent reviews in the worlds Hi Fi press.
Now with improved power supply and new cosmetics, and the option of our new MC transformers.
It is well know that valves can sound much better than transistors, this is especially so with LP reproduction. Mainly because:
• The massive overload of valves prevents distortion on highly modulated or worn LPs therefore reducing noise.
• The “warm” sound of valves is well suited to the reproduction of analogue music from LP.
• The huge 40db RIAA difference between 20 Hz and 20 kHz is easier for valves than transistors.
• Their “passive” design uses no “feedback”
• Their simple design uses “hi fi” components.
• They use “hand wired” “point to point” wiring with no printed circuit board.
It is essential that that these precious few microvolts of signal from the pickup cartridge go straight in to the valve without any switches or coupling capacitor in the way to add sonic impurities.
The PS1 story from David Shaw Icons founder:
“I designed the PS1 for maximum musical detail, but without exaggerating the imperfections through wear or older records. Valves are much more tolerant to overload and distortion, they recover quicker and distort less than transistors. Therefore valves will deal with the huge transient spikes present in imperfect LPs better than transistors. This gives a much more pleasing sound”.
They like the sound of “moving coil” pickups and produced their own special 10x step up transformers. They also designed the PS1 to have a higher than normal output, so it is possible to connect directly to power amplifiers without a pre-amplifier. It is fitted with a volume control. This gives a very pure sound quality.
their remarkable long published record still stands (06/2019) that no PS1 has been returned to them as “unsuitable” despite the thousands sold.
The PS1 has become a “Reference Standard” for Hi Fi World.
Their original acclaimed PS1 design updated and upgraded. Faithfull to the analogue traditions of vinyl.
Icon Audio PS1 MkII
• Built in volume control, suitable for most power amplifiers
• Stereo/mono switch for lower noise from mono LPs
• Choke power supply
• Separate Power supply for lower noise
• Comprehensive manual supplied
• All hand wired point to point
• No printed circuit board to spoil the sound
• Japanese Blue ALPS volume pot.
• All Triode valves 3x ECC83
• Sensitivity: 3mv for 1.26v output (0.3mv MC)
• Gain MM 53db MC 72db
• Load: imp: 47k MM, 100 ohms MC
• Output source impedance 50 ohms
• Signal to noise level -75db (MM)
• RIAA Freq response 20hz-20khz +0 - 1db
• NO global feedback used
• High quality resistors
• Hi Fi quality audio capacitors
• Silver PTFE audio cable
• Gold plated Input/output terminals
• 220/240volts (also 117v), 50watts
• C E. Conforms to ROHS and WEEE
• Pre-amp 17cmW, 27D, 11H , 2.7kg
• PSU 25cmD, 12W 17H 3.9kg
• Shipping size/weight 40cm x 35cm x 28cm 9kg
(Specifications subject to change)
Moving Magnet types are generally cheaper, and have the advantage of a high output.
Moving Coil pickups have a low output, they are generally more expensive.
But most hi fi fans prefer MC pickups. The LP original “Master” is cut with a moving coil stylus.
MC pickups need special transformers to give extra gain. We fit our own custom design and made transformers. They have a very smooth detailed sound. These may be fitted at the time of order or after purchase.
The front panel switch then allows you to easily choose either MM or MC input.