Looking for the best value in an integrated amplifier? Not only is the Stereo 40 MK IV an exceptional performer at any price, but is feature packed for maximum versatility to match almost any situation or needs.
All we think that a good valve amplifier should have:
Valve Rectifier (centre valve) gives a very smooth sound, normally only fitted to expensive amplifiers. We use the excellent 274B WE design.
Choke Regulated Power Supply
Working with the valve rectifier the large choke gives super-smooth power regulation for a silent background.
Tertiary Transformers have an extra (third) winding which reduces distortion, using less feedback. Our large handmade output transformers are among the finest available. They are more expensive and difficult to make, but worth the effort.
Low Feedback Too much feedback takes the spark and spontaneity from the sound of the ST40 IV
Wide range of valves
The Stereo 40 is designed to work with a wide range of output valves. You can choose between EL34 or KT88 (or even KT66/77, 6CA7, 6550). So you can experiment in the future and get the sound best for you.
Ultralinear or Triode?
For sixty years hi-fi fans have argued which sound is better. With the Stereo 40 IV, you have the choice of both at the flick of a switch. It is like having two amplifiers in one! Most Hi-Fi fans prefer the sound of triode valves, especially for acoustic music.
6SN7 and 6SL7
More relaxed than their miniature cousins, these larger driver valves are the best in their class for their musical sound and longer life. Try our new David Shaw types or choose from TJ/Full Music, SG Treasure, Psvane, Vintage USA/Russian types.
It’s hard to get exactly the right volume in your listening position. Now you can make fine adjustments in your arm chair, to get precisely the right sound level.
Plenty of Power
40 watts of power is enough to fill a medium to large room with a high volume of musical excellence.
This new design is finished with a fine metallic paint work that is easy to clean and is wear resistant. A 10 mm solid alloy front panel with matt black matching knobs. And our famous Plexiglas valve cover to create a stunning visual impression.
On the scales at 25Kg this amplifier is 9Kg heavier than the ST40 MK I. No lightweight in quality or performance, a true “high end amplifier” at a low price.
We can offer a range of upgrades including Shuguang “Treasure” valves and Russian types. As well as the superb Jensen “oil in paper” capacitors. Ask us for a quote.
Icon Audio Stereo 40 MK IV
Specifications and Features
• Comprehensive manual supplied
• Remote Control motorised pot for best quality
• All hand wired point to point
• No printed circuit board to ‘colour’ the sound
• Japanese ALPS volume pot.
• Class A, all Triode front end
• Output circuit Ultralinear or Triode switchable
• 4x EL34/KT88 precisely matched for best performance
• 1x 6SL7/6N9 first stage valve, 2x 6SN7 phase splitter
• 274B/GZ34 valve rectifier for ‘Soft start’ & smooth sound
• Standby switch to save valve life and power
• 2x 40w RMS per channel output*
• 2x 20 Watts RMS in Triode mode
• Signal to noise level -90db
• Freq response better than 20hz-20kHz +0 – 1db
• Power bandwidth 10hz-30khz
• Total harmonic distortion 0.15% at full output
• Suitable for 4 to 16ohm loudspeakers
• Supplied with attractive valve cover.
• Choke regulated power supply
• Solen audio caps, or Jensen copper foil in paper and oil
• Silver PTFE audio cable
• Custom hand wound Tertiary output transformers
• Gold plated Input & speaker terminals
• Four line inputs – CD, Tape, Tuner, Aux
• Tape monitor circuit with ‘Record Out’
• 250mv input sensitivity.
• Power requirement 220-240volts (115v adjustable)
• 76 Watts standby, 140 W Min, 240 W max.
• CE, ROHSS and WEEE
• 39cmW, 41D, 23H, 25kg (a minimum of 30mm height should be added to allow for ventilation)